Why do I have the Hawaii Five-O theme song running through my head? Maybe it is the chilly day. When I thought of making piping gel I started dreaming of Hawaii and the Pipeline. Since I can’t be there, I guess I will make some “pipe lines” of my own. Piping gel is so easy to make- no need to run to the store. You most likely have everything you need in your pantry. And there is a lot more you can do with piping gel than just piping Happy Birthday on a cake, such as:
1. You can color the piping gel blue for a water effect.
Isn't this cake from cakestuff.bpweb.net adorable? The water is made with piping gel.
2. Stabilize whipped cream for use as icing or filling: add 2 tbsp. to 1 cup liquid whipping cream.
3. Stabilize meringue: add 1 tbsp. per 3-4 egg whites.
4. Use as a glue to attach edible decorations.
5. Use as a glaze for tarts or other desserts: 2 parts gel to 1 part water. You can heat mixture to make it easier to use.
This cake from cakecentral.com uses colored piping gel to fill in flower design.
6. You can use the gel for a stained glass effect in your cake decorating.
7. You can use it to transfer a design pattern to a cake.
8. You can put drops of clear gel onto flowers for a dew-like effect.
9. Heat and brush onto a cake. Let dry and then frost. This is called a crumb coating and helps to keep crumbs from making their way into frosting as you decorate a cake.
10. You can give your decorations dimension or shine by placing a “stripe” of colored or clear piping gel on the side of your cake decorating bag. Then place icing in bag and decorate as usual. For example, you could do a stripe of red, a stripe of blue and then white frosting for the 4th of July.
11. You can add 1/2 tsp. to 1 cup of icing to make it smoother for decorating and making delicate patterns and designs.
2 envelopes or 2 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
2 tbsp. cold water
2 cups light corn syrup
Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small pan and let set for 5 minutes.
Heat on medium/low until gelatin has dissolved. Add syrup and heat through. Cool and store in refrigerator.
To color add color paste or food coloring. Food coloring will give it a more runny consistency than coloring paste.
To flavor use concentrated flavoring oils.
Now Go Have Some Jello Joy Today!